Friday, November 11, 2005

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

When the new version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was released, I wasn't too keen to see it. The main reason was because I was never fond of the original. I don't like stories about stupid, badly-behaved children, and my feelings on the matter were the same when I was little girl. I may have mentioned this before, but we watched a movie instead of going to recess whenever it rained, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory stands out in my memory as being the one watched the most. It rains a lot in Memphis (where I'm from). Having had more than my fill of that dadgum movie, I wasn't eager to see the new version. The preview looked mildly amusing, though (I particularly enjoyed when Willie Wonka says "I don't care" in response to a comment from one of the kids; it's what I usually want to say to children, too), so I considered going to see it until I saw a large billboard advertisement. The ad looked strangely reminiscent of another movie. I will give you a hint.
























There's an even stronger resemblance when you look at it like this.






















See what I mean?

6 comments:

Deals On Wheels said...

Ew.

That picture is scary.

I have an irrational fear of Willy Wonka. I think I have him listed under the same category as "clowns".

Lia said...

Very striking resemblence.

I always did like Charlie and the Chocolate factory, although I decidedly didn't like the movie. It's a sweet enough story about how the right kid ends up winning - should be feel good quality, if nothing more. But there are a lot of really annoying characters. I really hate the Oompa Loompas.

RR said...

Deals, I'm with you on the Wonka and clowns thing.

Lia, so the book is better than the movie (no surprise there)?

Amstaff Mom said...

Ugh, I only remember parts of the movie, but I hated it too as a kid and didn't want to see the remake. It's right up there with the Wizard of Oz for me. No THANK you.

RR said...

AM: Wait--what? You don't like the Wizard of Oz?

Amstaff Mom said...

yeah, sorry. no WOZ.