Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Double Flush

Howdy to the four people who read my blog! I’ve finally returned! Wow, it's been so long, I almost forgot my login and password. Aaaanywho...

Today, I’m going to talk about the Double Flush. It involves telling you about the bathroom, and I don’t want to be crude, so bear with me while I find a delicate way to tell this short and not-so-very-interesting story.

At work the other day, when D. flushed the toilet in the staff bathroom, it caused a minor incident to occur. Let me take a moment to state that this was not caused by anything that D. had done while in the bathroom. We’d been having water issues at work, and the plumbing had become rather sketchy while they worked out the kinks; problems included water coming from the taps in spurts instead of streams and toilet water taking on a grayish color. Anyhow, D. used the facilities, and when she flushed, the effect was like a mini-volcanic eruption. Now, nothing that she had flushed could have caused this, so it must have come from a predecessor. Or something. Anyhow, an unpleasant odor accompanied this eruption. D., a bit shaken from almost having an accidental shower, rushed down to my end of the building to get me because when you’re going to ask someone to help you investigate a toilet problem, it’s a good idea to get the person who has very little sense of smell. Anyhow, I flushed the toilet again, and nothing bad happened, so I guess the second flushing fixed the problem. All that to tell you that I have now instituted a double flush policy. When I use the staff bathroom, I flush twice. Only now that I think about it, I realize that I should be flushing once before I go to the bathroom and once after, not twice after. Hmm. I’ll have to amend the double flush policy and procedures manual.

7 comments:

Deals On Wheels said...

Wow. Thanks, RR. Because, you know, I was trying to forget that incident...

My favorite part of the entire situation was that everyone (except you, apparently) didn't believe that I didn't cause the situation (or the "smell" for that matter) in the staff bathroom that day. Because, you know, I ALWAYS go into "panic mode" after using the museum facilities (oh, wait...NO! I continue to act normally! It was, in fact, ABNORMAL that I freaked out after this particularly emotionally scarring incident! Boo! to all you non-believers!).

Anyway, I now jump back after I flush at work because I am so terrified that my body's...uh..."liquid waste" will be thrown back at me again.

And, just for the record, the "john" over on MY end of the building isn't acting normally anymore. Yesterday, it was doing it's famous "extended flush" thing again - which is kind of disconcerting (mainly because what I do at work (in reguards to the bathroom, at least) hardly - if ever - requires 10 minutes of "water exchange").

Amstaff Mom said...

Wow. That's horrible. Poor Deals. And way to be a friend for her in a time of need.

Amstaff Mom said...

and, let me just say as well, WELCOME BACK RR!!!!

RR said...

Thanks, AM!

Deals, I'm sorry to hear that the toilet on your end is still doing its bit as the Toilet of Perpetual Flush. Boo. I was hoping it would have done with that by now. It's a bit disconcerting to duck out of a staff meeting, hoping to take care of business then quietly return to the meeting, when the toilet continues to flush for a very attention-getting length of time.

Holly said...

Hi!
Thanks for posting and welcome back!

Deals On Wheels said...

Thank YOU, AMSTAFF, for supporting me when it comes to using the museum facilities.

RR, we are still in a fight over this (I'm not sure why, but I'm sure I have a really good reason around here somewhere).

BAH!

Katie said...

hmmm my manual has no such double-flush policy, I must have an old edition. Mine does have the "the hole in the toilet is your target young first grader who cannot seem to understand this concept" and this falls under both the boys and girls sections.