Saturday, September 17, 2005

When Being Helpful Backfires

Sometimes, when we try to help someone, it blows up in our faces. This is especially common among children (or at least the children in my family), as they don't usually have or understand all the information needed to make a good decision.

For example, one time my brother and sister and I (when we were about 10 and 7 years old, respectively) decided to wash my mom's car for her, the car my mom hadn't had for very long. We wanted to make it very clean, so we used what mom used to clean the tub. Softscrub with bleach. The paint job on that car was never quite the same after that, and since we didn't have any money to fix the problem, poor Mom had to drive the car that way. Then, when we got to high school, JLR and I got to drive it.

When my brother was a little tyke, he covered our parents' new sofa in Vaseline. You know, to make it shiny.

How about you? Have you ever been this kind of helpful?

3 comments:

Amstaff Mom said...

I really can't think of anything that would come anywhere close to that. I was always content to just be reading on my own.

I'd like to think I was pretty trouble free. My thought at least.

RR said...

Your parents must have loved having you as a child. :)

Deals On Wheels said...

I once tried to help my gerbil have fun.

I think he almost died.