Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I Hate Spring

I used to love spring. So pretty, so green, so refreshing. Everything new and bright and clean! And I still love spring for about 2 or 3 days, right when it first gets going in full swing. And then the hate starts in. I'm not allergic to the pollen, but the constant change in the weather irritates my nasal passages and gives me all the allergic-type reactions just the same. And then there's the tornadoes. And then...those dadgum baby birds. A week or so ago, I rescued a hatchling that had fallen out of its nest, but usually we're not so fortunate. Usually spring involves several days of coming home and finding already dead baby bird on the ground by where we park our cars. Coming home after a hard day at work, one hopes to find something a bit more uplifting.

Spring also makes the bugs come out in large quantities. And today, when I was digging in the ground behind our deck to see if the sweet potato plants from last year had produced any actual sweet potatoes, I uncovered something under a pile of leaves that looked very much like a vertebral (?) bone. And then another one. And another one. And as my gaze shifted to the right, I saw what looked like hip bone from a large cat-sized or smallish dog-sized animal.

Not. cool. Wedged right up against our deck. Not cool.

And I get that there's a cycle of life and that animals (including people) live and die all the time, but whatever, does it have to be right where I garden, right where I try to grow vegetables?

Not that I'm blaming spring for the dead animal, but still.
*

4 comments:

JLR said...

We are *not* having luck with the dead thing encounters lately. If this were a movie, it would be a sign to MOVE IMMEDIATELY.

Lia said...

I'm entirely in agreement. I have the allergy symptoms (never been tested to know why; doesn't really seem to matter), I have the insect affinity that leads to lots of bites, and I have an apartment that seems to be the favorite hangout of lots of creepy crawlies. And since I sprayed the place, I still get them, but now they're dead, which is gross.

From death comes life. Or something like that.

RR said...

JLR: no kidding. Adding in the whatever it was that died on your car, I think we might be the stupid people in the horror movies who don't get the hint to GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

RR said...

Lia, ohmygosh, same here! And I get that finding a dead huge waterbug is not as bad as finding a live one, but still. Gross. Must remember to seal up those gaps around the door. [grumble, stupid badly installed back door, grumble] Do you find you're reluctant to be the first one to enter a dark room in the mornings for fear of how many dead insects you may find?