Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What's New with Me

Has this ever happened to you?  You're at a dinner event or banquet, and as the wait staff serve the entrees, they serve everyone at your table except you, serve the entire rest of the room, and then come back to serve you at the end.  No?  Oh. 

It's happened to me, and more than once.

Over time, JLR and I have begun to feel we're suffering from a mild case of invisibility.  We don't have a full blown case so that no one can see us, but we have it just bad enough that people don't see us unless we speak to them or in some other way draw attention to ourselves. 

People cut in line in front of us regularly, and they'll walk right in front of us as we go down a grocery store aisle, and then they'll stop and stand there, perusing the merchandise.  Eventually, our "excuse me" will cause them to turn around and, surprised, notice that we're standing there.  Combine our near invisibility with the fact that we look like a lot of other people (so much so that we've begun to think we might be trapped in an Anna to the Infinite Power situation), and I'm left wondering--why has no one recruited us to be spies?  Sure, we'd be terrible spies, but the Spy Recruiting People don't know that, do they?  Aren't they trained to notice people who aren't noticeable?  Drop us into any location involving white people, and we are completely unremarkable.

But all that's just something I was thinking about earlier.  What I really wanted to tell you is that Psy's new song Gangnam Style is stuck in my head.  May it also be stuck in yours.

P.S., it's hot outside.  And I got an "all clear" from the dermatologist after my full body mole checkup, and I had peanut butter and banana after dinner, so it was a good day.

1 comment:

JLR said...

So true. All of it. :)