Thursday, March 30, 2006

Um...Incident Report, 3-30-2006

So Deals and I went on a bike ride tonight around the lake. It was fun. Except for when I ran in to the wall...but even that was funny.

It started with Deals having to lower the seat for me on the bike I was borrowing from her sister. Yes, her sister is shorter than me, and I still needed the seat lowered. Y'all, my feet could not touch the ground when I was on the seat. It needed to be lowered. My feet are my secondary bicycle braking system, and they're my primary bicycle braking system when I panic...which is often.

So we're going along fine except for those few times when I wobbled dangerously while attempting to brush hair off my face, or stand and bike at the same time, or go up a steep hill. Didn't fall though, which is what I was really afraid it would happen. After all, it's been about 10 to 15 years since I've ridden a bike. You know what they say about riding a bike? Not true. Oh, sure, you can still manage the balancing part, but not very well. It's like you can always remember how to ride, but if it's been too long between rides, every time you try it again, it's like when you just learned to ride.

Anyhow, we go over a bridge. It's neat. Picturesque. I can see up ahead that there's a turn. One can go left, right, or straight on in to the lake. Or rather, one would go in to the lake, except that there's a wall there. It's sort of a wall/gate mixture. I can't tell which way Deals is going to turn because Deals doesn't signal, not that I can blame her for that. At one point during the ride, I lifted my left arm off the handle bars to signal a turn and did that previously-mentioned dangerous wobbling and decided I wasn't going to risk signaling anymore. The people behind me could just take a wild guess. Which is what I was doing with Deals. 'Will she go left? Will she go right? Ah, she's going right. It's kind of a steep right. Hmm. If I turn at the speed I'm going, I will definitely fall over. Maybe I can slow down enough to come to a complete stop while missing the turn, then turn, and--nope, nope, I'm going to run in to the wall. Yep, I ran in to the wall.'

I am happy to say that the bike took most of the impact of the crash. I had a couple of scrapes on my leg, and that's it. Of course, the chain came off the bike. Deals informs me that, at this point, we are at the farthest point of the ride. Great. So she calls the Boy Toy to come pick us up while I grab a stick and try to get the chain to go back on. Yes, a stick. I don't know anything about bikes--not even how to shift the gears--and my hands were getting all kinds of greasy from the little bit I did handle the chain. The Boy Toy was at the pet food store, but he said he'd come get us. I was bummed because I really wanted to finish the ride. Then Deals merely touches the chain and it goes back on. So I felt kind of silly, yet happy at the same time, because we were able to finish the ride.

At one point the wind was blowing so hard that I. thought. I. was. not. going. to. be. able. to. make. it. I thought of that line from The Lady Eve, "They would've had to bury me at sea." Only "at lake," instead of at sea.

We finally get almost to the end when I see a rather alarming sign that reads:
HIDDEN AND STEEP CURVE AHEAD. REDUCE SPEED.

Um. Y'all know I have a problem with steep curves. I was a tad bit nervous. However, if you were looking for another incident here, you're going to be disappointed because there wasn't one. Well, except for when the Boy Toy was waiting for us at the end, and his dog wrapped its leash around Deals' legs, and she fell over. And then there wasn't much room in his vehicle after we put the bikes in it, so Deals and I had to share the front seat. With our bike helmets on, in case our heads knocked together.

8 comments:

Deals On Wheels said...

No, we were wearing the helmets because the seat belt:

A) wouldn't go around the both of us.

B) was violently choking you when I tried to get it to go around the both of us.

The helmets were on to protect our heads in the instance of a crash (which, after the afternoon that we had just had on the bikes, was not entirely out of the question).

I'm so happy that you weren't hurt when you rammed into the wall. It made a horrible noise when you did, and for a second I thought I was going to have to call JLR to tell her that I had accidentally killed you by putting you on a bike. Then you started laughing, but I was waiting for you to also start crying, because you are the kind of person that would laugh/cry with a compound fracture.

Anyway, I'm just happy that you were not seriously injured. Although, I'm starting to wonder if part of your problem was that you kept expecting the brakes on the bike to be the ones that work when you peddle backwards - like on your old 10 speed? I swear I saw you try to peddle in reverse just seconds before you made contact with the rock wall.

Deals On Wheels said...

I also loved that you were wearing a riding helmet (as in "horses"). Cracked me up!

JLR said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm very glad that you are ok. I considered banning your from bike riding, but since I have no power to enforce that, I will merely implore you to BE CAREFUL!!!

Amstaff Mom said...

Man, I was going to comment on this post this morning, and then I got busy at work and never got back to blogging.

Know that I enjoyed it and empathized completely.

I had a bad wreck on my back when I was young and I tried to get back on a back about 10 years ago and only managed to pedal next to the curb and simultaneously cry. Nice, eh?

Now, I can bike ride (slowly), but I can't let go long enough to signal, only to scratch my nose in a fitful fashion. Forget hills. I'll get off and walk down. Anything that will make me go faster than the speed of snail, actually. Stand up on a bike? Pshaw. It's a hunchback of Notre Dame imitation at best.

Yeah, I'll go bike riding with you sometime RR, two peas in a pod we are.

And I love picturing the two of you in riding helmets in the car with the Boy Toy. Too funny.

Glad you're safe and sound now.

Grammy Pammy said...

Deals and I returned today to the scene of the crash. Yes, we were on bikes. In fact I rode the same bike RR rode. (I had to RAISE the seat, but I digress) We stopped at “the wall” and said a little prayer. Deals pointed to the exact point of impact. THERE’S A CRACK!! A CRACK IN THE WALL!! RR cracked the wall!

So, we hurried on. Later I was seen walking the bike up the NUMEROUS hills as Deals sped away, laughing no doubt that I COULDN’T KEEP UP. But, “fanny fatigue” definitely set in towards the end of the ride.

I’m glad RR wasn’t hurt. It’s a strenuous ride---Congratulations to anyone that completes that ride! I feel thinner already.

Amstaff Mom said...

It was good to see you today, RR.

Lia said...

Ouch. Glad you're alive to tell the story. And laugh at it.

RR said...

GrammyPammy: wow, there's a crack? That must have been put there by someone else. I deny everything. In any case, I'm glad to know there's someone else who can't keep up with Deals.

AM: It was good to see you, too! I've been making the sign for "coffee." Or at least, I think I have. Hmmm, if not "coffee," I wonder what I've really been signing...

Lia: yeah, it kind of hurt. Thanks for your sympathy. I'm glad I come from a family that laughs at that sort of thing. We're all really clumsy, so we've had to learn to laugh at ourselves. Otherwise, I suppose we'd cry rather a lot.