Friday, July 25, 2008

The Bike!

T. fixed my bike for me this weekend (you know, the one I acquired this day). He spent the weekend at his mom's house babysitting her cat, and he needed something to do. I myself have never felt so great a need for something to do that I would volunteer to fix someone's bike, but I guess T.'s handy like that.

Also, I think he wants someone to bike with. I have told him that I'm not getting up at 5:45 A.M. (as he does) to go for a ride. I am also not going biking when it's 100+ degrees outside. T. says it's cooler in the morning, and I reiterate that I'm not getting up at 5:45. T. also is mapping out a 14-mile ride for us. I have also repeatedly told him that I can't go 14 miles, that I am sadly out of shape. I don't think my comments are making much of a dent, though, even when I told him the story about my last bike ride. But at least his other friend G., who is similarly reluctant to take long bike rides, will probably go with us, so I won't be the only one griping about how far it is.

So, anyway, when T. called Friday afternoon to say that he was free to come over and pick up my bike, I thought, what? Company? But...but that means I have to brush my teeth. And put on deodorant. And pants. But at least my bike is getting fixed. Poor T. had to see me in my usual working-on-thesis attire (and accompanying coiffure). Not pretty.

4 comments:

Lia said...

Picture? I think I know what working-on-a-thesis looks like. There is nothing wrong with hard work and comfortable clothing!

RR said...

That's right, Lia! There's nothing wrong with it at all. And speaking of what working-on-a-thesis looks like, I had quite a time trying to fix my hair before meeting a friend for lunch today. You see, I had neglected to wash my hair and it was a bit on the icky side. *Sigh.* I've got to get this grooming thing under control.

Amstaff Mom said...

Do I know who T. is? Is he the brother we rarely speak of?

RR said...

Hello, Amstaff Mom!!!!!!!!

[calming down]

No, T. is a classmate. As the students I usually spend time with are away for the summer, I've been spending a lot more time with T. Gosh, that sounds rather unflattering to him. It's not that I don't like to hang out with T, it's that the opportunity to do so never really arose before this summer. But now we see each other about once a week, and the more time I spend with him, the more I realize that an activity involving exercise (like, say, running a 10K or biking for 14 miles) is imminent. Unavoidable. And it makes me tired. But at least I'll get me out of the house. Finally.

In other news, how are you?