Monday, January 12, 2009

Legume Day, My Favorite!

Must. get. motivated. to. find. job.

The rational side of me realizes that the contents of my savings account are rapidly disappearing. The used-to-student-loans-coming-in side of me says, "What's the big deal? You'll get another check in a week or so. Right? Right?!?"

Anyway, in other news, JLR and I are on a rotation diet in an effort to avoid developing sensitivities to other foods. So if we eat something from one food family on Monday, we don't eat it again until Friday. We're doing this mainly because we our diet had been consisting of legumes, fruit, oats, and rice. Since oats and rice are both in the same plant family as wheat (to which I already have a sensitivity), and since JLR has already demonstrated an allergic reaction (we think that's what it was) to eating too much peanut butter (legumes) over a short period of time, a rotation diet seems a good idea. I won't tell you what happened, since it's her story, but it had never happened to JLR before and hasn't happened since. And that's a good thing. Nothing gross--just midly frightening.

Today is legume diet. It is our favorite. Today, we may have: black bean soup; hummus; cannellini dip; peanut butter cookies; green beans; black eyes peas; or any other member of the much-beloved-by-us plant family. It's hard not to think about food all day when it's legume day. Or Lara Bar Day. Yum, lara bars...I've been thinking about food all day.

Sad. *Sigh*.

6 comments:

Lia said...

That's a fascinating diet. And there I always try to cover *all* food groups *every* day.

RR said...

Hi, Lia! It is an interesting diet. I need to apologize, though, as I didn't explain it well. I do cover all the food groups (meat, veggies, grains, etc.), but I don't have all the food families. So if my vegetables on one day include green beans, which come from the legume family (Leguminosae), for example, then I won't have anything from the legume family the next day. Instead, my vegetables will come from say, the goosefoot family (Chenopodiaceae). If I eat chicken one day, I have tuna the next. Quinoa one day, amaranth or buckwheat the next, etc. It's made for some interesting menu items, that's for sure. For instance, the amaranth tortillas I made tonight were...not tortillas. Not even close. But that probably has mostly to do with my lack of cooking skills than with the kind of flour I used.

Deals On Wheels said...

How about JLR going to an allergist to see if she's allergic to peanuts? Because a peanut allergy can be serious. And nuts are in so much already.

I keep waiting to hear that one or both of you has...I dunno...exploded or something.

RR said...

D: You're right about that. Good thing she has now asked our doctor for a referral to go to the allergist! Yea! I'm so excited.

Heather said...

Edamame! Eat edamame!

Mmmmmm... now I want some.

RR said...

Heather: That is a good suggestion, and in fact, a couple of years ago I was considering adding edamame to my list of healthy snacks to try, when I got around to remembering to buy them. And then I found out I have a soy intolerance. But I welcome other suggestions! My food horizons have been expanding greatly in the last few months, and I find myself willing to try (and like) foods I wouldn't have been willing even to taste two years ago. So please do make any additional suggestions you can think of. Except for things like pig feet and sheep eyeballs. I'm still going to stay away from those.