Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Note about "The Unconcious Witness"




Let me tell you something about this book. Or more specifically, something about the cover of this book. Did you look at the picture? Did you take a good look at it?

Now, I like hardboiled detective fiction, so although I found the cover a bit cheesy, it did not deter me from reading the book. I'd been meaning to read a Dr. Thorndyke story since reading Partners in Crime, so while I wasn't expecting any incidents in the book to match the scene depicted on the cover, what did I know? I'd never read anything from the series.

But as it turns out, I did know.

I draw your attention again to the cover.

Among the characters in the story are a man and a blonde woman. That's about where the cover's relation to the story ends. At no point in the story does anyone wear an evening gown. At no point does the protagonist --or any other character--wear a tuxedo. At no point in the story does a woman faint. At no point does the protagonist--or anyone else--wield a gun.

This begs the question for the illustrators--what story did they read?



-

3 comments:

JLR said...

Maybe they read the book, couldn't think of anything interesting enough from it to depict on the cover, at least nothing that would sell the book, so they just went with something completely different. Or maybe somewhere out there is a book that DOES feature a fainting woman and a gun-toting, tux-wearing man, sporting the cover that was supposed to go on this book?

Lia said...

Maybe they were just trying to teach the very important lesson: don't judge a book by its cover.

RR said...

JLR: Interesting possibility. Hmm...I think I might like to read that other book, if your second suggestion were true.

Lia: Ha ha ha! I bet you're right. :)