Friday, March 30, 2012

Dinners and Dresses

Last night was the annual board appreciation dinner at work. I appreciate the board, but I wish there were another way I could show them appreciation than going to a dinner. It's the lab partner or bus situation from school all over again--gosh, I hope I have someone to sit by. Not that plenty of my co-workers would mind sitting by me, but I don't have any close friends at the office, so I'm always wondering if they're glad I'm sitting by them or if they're really just being nice.

At least this time my co-worker went to pick up some sushi for from my favorite place so that I didn't have to bring my own dinner, as I've had to do in the past. Wasn't that kind of her? And this time, I didn't bring a pity-party dessert, 'cause I'm on a strict must-fit-bridesmaid's-dress calorie limit. Instead, I had a post-prandial cup of decaf coffee. I love coffee, so I hope this kept me from missing dessert too much. Well...that and the larabar I ate for dessert. I *almost* managed not to have the pity dessert. So close.

Speaking of bridesmaid's dresses, I'm having a difficult time finding something that will work for MJ's wedding. And at this point, we're not even sure I'll be in the wedding, since bridesmaids are not standard fixtures in Korean weddings, and they (M.J., her fiance, her mom, and the wedding planner) are still trying to figure out how to work me in. I offered to stand at the side of the room wearing a sign that says "bridesmaid," but MJ didn't seem keen on that idea. Anyhow, the problem with finding a suitable bridemaid dress is that my shoulders need to be covered, but it needs to not make me look like I'm 55. Believe it or not, there aren't too sleeved bridesmaid dresses out there these days. Even finding a cocktail dress that isn't overly-beaded, sleeveless or strapless, inappropriate for a wedding, or just plain ugly has been difficult. It doesn't help that the stores seem to be between seasons at the moment. All the right dresses are no longer available in my size, and the new dresses haven't come in to replace them yet.

So tomorrow it's back out to the mall for more searching. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Deals On Wheels said...

Can you get a sleeveless or strapless dress and then add a shrug, sweater or wrap?

RR said...

Hello, Deals! I think that's what I'll end up doing. I found a dress over the weekend that is pretty and --other than the fact it has straps and no sleeves--is appropriate for a bridesmaid's dress. So I just bought it and said to myself, "I'm wearing a shrug or a sweater, and that will have to work."

Know of any good shrug stores?

Deals On Wheels said...

Haha! Do they have specialized shrug stores?! Deanne makes them, but you can probably find them online. Beats trying to find something very specific in the stores.

And I do hope you come and see The New Baby. But you do not need to bring a gift! The gift would be seeing you for a change and getting to show off mini Trevor!