Friday, April 20, 2012

Incident report, week of April 8, 2012



Just a couple of incidents to report lately:

1.  Went to pick up co-worker from her house, finally realized how dirty my car is on the inside, embarrassed about the crumbs and leaves, etc.
2.  Found small stain on my shirt at work the other day, didn't know if I had acquired it at work but couldn't be sure it wasn't there when I left my house that morning.
3.  Caught a cold my sister got from a co-worker, and it kept me home from work for almost 3 days and made me cranky and sorry for myself.
4.  Tried to do some bird watching at home so I could get more practice for a project at work.  I also listened to bird songs, but quickly put headphones on when I realized Wally thought there was a bird outside and ran to the back window (by where I was sitting) to see if he could see it.  I felt so guilty. 



Lately, not much has been going on with me, which is about normal.  Just work, work, work.  I'd had a goal of getting my work life in order by early April so I could have time for a personal life, and so far that has not happened, but I'm making progress.  I've been setting aside time every night (except when I have night meetings or have to work on reports until 1 in the morning) for cleaning and practicing Korean, and I'm happy to be making progress on both fronts.  Hurray for a clean(ish) house!  Hurray for fifty vocabulary words learned!

In other news, I'm trying a garden again this year.  Right now, I'm focusing on keeping alive the plants that came back from last year: garlic (which I can't eat), cannas, and rosemary. I'm also growing pretty green leaves from a sweet potato that sprouted in the kitchen over the winter.  So far, none of the sweet potatoes I planted last year have come back, but that's okay. 

One of my co-workers recently planted a significant-sized patio garden at her apartment, and since gardening optimism is contagious, I'm considering adding to my garden.  I'm not sure what to grow, though, because it seems as though everything I try growing something, I wind up allergic to it.  Garlic, tomatoes, potatoes--all used to be in my garden (garlic still is), all now on my allergies list.  So I'm nervous about planting anything else.  I'm thinking of trying more herbs.  I don't use Rosemary much, so if I wind up allergic to it, no great loss, right?  And in the fall, I’m going to try some more vegetables.  Oh, yes, I am, and don’t tell me anything about my past failures in the garden.  I’m well aware of them.  But despite past failures, a person can still be a gardening optimist, can’t she?

And in case my optimism doesn’t pay off…

(Making a mental note to check with Deals about what time of year her fig tree produces fruit so I can mooch).

(Making a mental note to check with friend from grad school about what time of year his pecan tree produces pecans so I can mooch).


5 comments:

Deals On Wheels said...

Fig tree usually starts producing in June or July. It happens fast and only lasts 2-4 weeks depending on the weather.

The tree has doubled in size every year since we bought the house. Don't know if it really likes me bc I cut the hackberry out of it or if it is some sort of mutant fig tree. It is happy, none the less, and generally produces a lot. Last year, we had figs EVERYWHERE. Hoping for an equally bountiful harvest this summer.

RR said...

Me, too, me, too! If I remember correctly, though, it's a race to beat Haskell to the figs if I hope to score any for myself. Is that still true?

Deals On Wheels said...

Luckily, he isn't very tall, but the tree is. Plus, after the intestinal distress he suffered last year, I have plans to keep him away from the fig tree as much as possible this summer. That doesn't keep him from checking the fig tree for fruit every time is his allowed in the big yard, though. He is on the lookout.

And even if you did have to beat Haskell to the figs, he is pretty lazy and scares easily. You could totally take him.

RR said...

Good to know. Haskell maybe scares easily, but he's a faster runner than me, so I wasn't sure about my odds. :)

Deals On Wheels said...

Yes, but running requires getting off his dog bed. Easier said than done.