Friday, July 29, 2005

Incident Report, 7/29/05

1. Cut finger on wire shelving
2. Tried to put slide box on counter in library but fumbled the pass (so to speak); fortunately, I managed to "hot potato" it up to the counter.
3. Got stack of papers stuck in the hole punch at work. Managed to get them free before D. noticed (I think...my muffled cry of "It's stuck!" might not have escaped her notice).
4. Banged elbow on chair.
5. Jabbed neck with thumbnail.

6. Okay, so as we were leaving work on Friday evening, D. and I saw a family of three stray, hungry-looking dogs. We immediately took pity on them, and D.--being the more active of the two of us--suggested that we run back inside the building, grab the leftovers from the other night's office party, and throw them to the dogs. We debated whether or not we knew the code to turn off the alarm, and after we came to the conclusion that we were pretty sure it was either xxxx or yyyyy, it was bound to be one of the two, I agreed to go back inside with her. Here's the thing, though: you only get 80 seconds to turn off the alarm before the security company sends out the cavalry. We knew we had to get in there in a hurry, especially since we really needed extra time in case the first code we tried didn't work. D. opened the door, and I launched myself inside just as quickly as I could.

When retelling the story for my sister the next day, D. said, "We had 80 seconds, but we were preparing for 3." That's an accurate summary of what happened. As I shot inside the door, I remembered thinking that morning as I left my apartment that my shoes didn't have good traction, had never had good traction, and seemed unlikely ever to have good traction, and that I should probably just throw them out. This is what was going through my mind as my left foot slipped to the right, my right foot and the rest of me slipped to the left, and down I went.

D. was useless after that because she was practially crumpled on the floor, she was laughing so hard. That left me to "play through pain" and get the alarm code entered. And I did. So there.

(And we did manage to get the food to the dogs, in case you were wondering.)

9 comments:

Amstaff Mom said...

Oh, impatient bee. So sorry to see so many items on your incident report. But think of those pups with full tummies. It makes it all worth it, eh?

RR said...

Yes, it does. Poor little pooches. I saw them again yesterday but had no food to give them.

Katie said...

I'm sorry but I am laughing at you right now too. Well not at you but with you, ok maybe more at you.

The thing is I could have been you in that situation. I think I may be you. Are you sure you're you and not me? I know I'm me but you sound a lot like me too so now I'm confused.

Maybe we were both just standing in line together when they handed out the clumsy gene and not knowing any better we went ahead and signed up for the deluxe version of that gene.

Amstaff Mom said...

I was in that line too. Which reminds me, I need to type my incident report.

*heads over to Have Suitcase, Will Travel*

RR said...

Katie and Amstaff, it's nice to know that there are other people out there who also have the deluxe version of the clumsy gene. I think I frightened a neighbor yesteday when I accidentally uprooted one of our flower bed liners as I walked past. Anyhow, it's good to know you're out there. And thanks for sharing, Amstaff Mom! Katie, when are you going to "spill" some of your clumsy moments? Get it? Spill?

Amstaff Mom said...

"There is safety in numbers, my dear"

*hits hand with wrench*

(no WONDER my hand hurts) (must read my posting for this to make sense) (hint hint)

(I've never used parentheses this much in my life)

JLR said...

rr, why does no one comment on your blog? Except AM and katie, of course. You guys rock.

Amstaff Mom said...

I'm here to stay.

Deals On Wheels said...

I would just like to add to this dicussion that RR was suspended in air that day. Kinda' like Superman (as if he were taking off from the side).

Then, when she finally landed, she CRAWLED (no, I am not kidding) to enter in the alarm code. Actually, crawwwwllled. It was like a war movie or something - she was down but STILL determined! In another situation, RR, you would have been a HERO!

It was freakin' hilarious!! I don't know if I'm sad or glad that it wasn't caught on film.